Release Date: 04 Jan 2011
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Summary: Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.
Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.
But they know.
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.
I am Number Four.
I am next.
Review: Let me start off this by saying that I don't like science fiction in general (tv, movies, books... yuck), it just doesn't hold my interest and more often than not it makes me think 'what complete trash.' That said, I adore X-Men. I only picked up this book after seeing the trailer for it on TV which made me compare it to my favorite superheroes. I'm really glad that I did buy and read the book. And I'm even more excited to go see the movie now.
The beginning of the book started off rough for me. The writing was awkward and robotic. Four was sorta lame and the book clearly has an environmental agenda (not a bad thing but I don't think it was well done in the beginning). I kept trucking along though because I hate not finishing books. Then suddenly, a little less than halfway in, the book became intense and a million times better, I couldn't put it down. I read over 300 pages in one sitting.
The ending... I'm not sure what to say about that and the preview for the next book really worries me. I don't want the next book to be from the POV of another character. There were many loose ends left with Four, I want to see those tied up first.
Thoughts as I Read:
- "I nod. We stand and stare up at the house and listen to the wind come through the palm fronds. I am holding a bag of celery in my hand." I'm not liking how this book is written so far but the story is very intriguing so I'm able to ignore it for the most part. I do find myself reading the sentences in a robotic voice (in my head, of course) though...
- "What happened, anyway? I was worried about you." "Would you believe it if I told you I was an alien?" "Shut up," she says playfully. I'm not really sure how I picture Sarah at this point but I'm more than happy to see a movie that has Dianna Agron in it.
- "Pittacus Lore, the greatest of them, their leader, had assembled them before the attack." What is this? Lemony Snicket and A Series of Unfortunate Events?
- "A trickle of blood runs down the side if my face. Okay, I think, let's do this. They can do all they want to me, but they will not harm a single hair on Sarah's head." Yay, the book has finally gotten interesting and we're seeing some action.
- "Do you really think he would tell you the truth after what happened? Put the gun down." Ahhh, now Sam's character makes more sense. I'm glad we got more information on him.
- "They said they'd be watching. That they knew someone might be coming." We hear quiet footsteps on the first floor. Herni and Sam look at each other, both terrified. I'm on the edge of my seat now! The storyline is fast paced and intense. Can't wait to see what happens next.
- "Oh no," Emily says. "Oh God no, please no." Hmmm, there's been a lot of action but the book has yet to reach any real action for the main storyline. I assume it will be drawn out into the next book in the series but I believe it will be in another character's POV.
- "I think they're planning to do the same thing to Earth as they did to Lorien, and they are almost ready. To sit back and do nothing is to allow that same destruction, that same death and annihilation. Why stand back and let it happen? If this planet dies, we die with it." Powerful speech but I'm not caring at all so far for her 'all knowing', mysterious character.
Rating: 5 Bites