Release Date: 01 Jul 1996
Genre: Mystery, Futuristic, Romantic Suspense
Summary: It is 2058, New York City. Lieutenant Eve Dallas uncovers a world where technology can create beauty and youth, but passion and greed can destroy them.
She was one of the most sought-after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted -even another woman's man. And now she's dead, the victim of a brutal murder.
Police lieutenant Eve Dallas puts her life on the line to take the case when suspicion falls on her best friend, the other woman in the fatal love triangle. Beneath the facade of glamor, Eve finds that the world of high fashion thrives on an all-consuming obsession with youth and fame-one that leads her from the lights of the runway to the dark underworld of New York City, where drugs can fulfill any desire, for a price.
Review: This series is freakin' wonderful. I have to admit that I don't read it for the clever and intense cases, but instead for the character interactions. This was a great book for those since Mavis was so involved. While I love Peabody, Feeney, Dr. Mira etc... it is Eve and Roarke's romance that makes this book deserve five stars. We really got to see them progress in this book and I loved every minute of it.
Can't wait to continue my reread journey through these books! They're just as wonderful the second time and I find myself still giggling out loud at certain parts.
Thoughts as I Read:
- "Did you have to hit her?" Eve watched the woman's eyes roll back, then roll forward. "Yeah." ...then later Eve dived in, pulling at arms and legs. She gave Pandora an extra jab to the ribs for her own enjoyment. Jesus Christ, I love Eve. I'd so make her my BFF.
- "You continue to surprise me, Peabody. A tough urbanite like you springing from Free-Agers. How come you're not growing alfalfa, weaving mats, and raising a brood?" "I like to kick ass. Sir." I forgot that Peabody was always awesome. I'm glad she was introduced early in the series.
- "You know one of the best things about working with you recently, Dallas?" "My charming ways and rapier wit?" When I first started reading these books, I never expected Eve to be so sarcastic. I love it though, definitely keeps me laughing even when things get gristly.
- "I don't believe anything touches you, Lieutenant. You're without loyalty and that makes you nothing. Less than nothing." Ugh, Summerset makes me so mad sometimes. He automatically adored Mavis yet is so vicious to Eve. You'd think he'd would trust Roarke's judgment. Or at least have the decency to not beat Eve when she's down. That said, I love the arguments/banter between these two characters.
- "He's got style, I'll give him that." "And a great butt," Peabody said before she could stop herself. "Just an observation." I can picture this scene perfectly in my head. You're pretty funny DeeDee ;)
- "Don't stay up working half the night. I'll know." "What the hell else am I supposed to do?" she demanded. "I can't sleep when you're not here." How amazing would it have been if Roarke hadn't left and heard Eve's confession... Their romance is the sweetest and sexiest.
- He lowered his head, watched her eyes shift towards the table across the room. "I doubt this will diminish your authority," he murmured, then pressed his lips softly to hers. "I love you." Just one of many PDAs that drive Eve crazy and please myself and Roarke to no end.
- Her jeans were torn, her own blood mixing with the dead man's, and here eyes were still flashing when they met Roarke's. "What the hell are you grinning at?" "It's always a delight to watch you work, Lieutenant." I don't know how Eve manages to function, let alone work, when Roarke is in the vicinity.
- "I found Galahad cowering under the bed just now. Someone has covered him with beads and tiny red bows. It's mortifying, for the both of us." Poor kitty. My cat can commiserate with him on undignified outfits.
- "What other thing, Eve?" " I love you. Sometimes it makes my stomach hurt, but I kind of like it. Tired now, come to bed. Love You." Awww, perfect ending.
Rating: 5 Bites